MM 4-36 New York City’s Chrysler Building

For this week’s Monochrome Madness Challenge I have another shot of a Manhattan skyscraper from our trip to New York last June. This one is of the venerable Chrysler Building, once known as the tallest building in the world.

The art-deco Chrysler Building held the title of world’s tallest for a little over eleven months. Then the Empire State Building was completed.

The Chrysler Building is located on the corner of Lexington Avenue and 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan, not far from Grand Central Station. Construction began on September 18, 1928 and when the building was completed on May 27, 1930 it took away the claim to be the world’s tallest building from #40 Wall Street.  Its fame was short-lived, however, as the Empire State Building grabbed the title away from Chrysler when it was completed on May 1, 1931.

There is a fascinating story about various architects and builders in the 1920s who each desired to build New York City’s (and thus the world’s) tallest building. The story was captured in a book published in 2003 called Higher by Neal Bascomb. You can find the Kindle edition of the book on Amazon these days for $1.99.

Walter Chrysler and his family owned the building from 1930 until 1953. During that time the building served as headquarters for the Chrysler Corporation. The ownership of the building has changed hands several times since then. Today the Abu Dhabi Investment Council owns 90% of the building and Tishman Speyer owns the remaining 10%.

The Chrysler Building is famous for its art-deco spire. It also features eagles on each corner of the 61st floor and you can find replicas of various 1929 Chrysler Radiator Caps and Hood Ornaments on the 31st floor.

Australian photographer Leanne Cole hosts the weekly Monochrome Madness Challenge every Thursday (Wednesday in Europe and North America) but plans to switch to Wednesdays (Tuesdays in Europe and North America) beginning next week. Drop by Leanne’s website to see what she and other photographers from all over the world are doing in monochrome these days.

Last week my entry for MM-4-35 was the Solow Building (see here if you missed it). I’ll probably submit a photo of another New York City skyscraper next week. I know you will all be waiting with anxious breath to see which building it will be!

 

 

 

About crowcanyonjournal

I am a family man with interests in family history, photography, history and travel.
This entry was posted in Architecture, New York, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to MM 4-36 New York City’s Chrysler Building

  1. kzmcb says:

    I love the history as well as the photo.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.